Location: Boston, MA
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students in California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students. ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, including a prestigious Investing In Innovation (i3) grant from the federal government in 2010, New Schools Venture Fund’s “Organization of the Year” in 2011, and The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” in 2015 and 2016.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
We are looking for a talented UI Designer to create visual design (storyboards/prototypes, proof of concepts and content layout) and information architecture (site structure/organization, navigation/findability etc.) for ANet’s online assessment creation, delivery, reporting and resource applications. As the first UI Designer on ANet’s Product Management Team, we need a trailblazer in this role who is energized by being a self-starter as they influence the scope of this position while providing new and exciting expertise and skills to our organization. The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean and artful design, possess superior UI skills and be able to translate high-level requirements into interaction flows and artifacts, and then transform them into intuitive and functional user interfaces. Reporting to the Vice President, Product Management, the UI Designer will be an integral part of designing our school-facing platforms, working closely with business owners, engineers, and QA colleagues to bring innovative product designs to life that will directly impact the students and teachers ANet serves.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Collaborate with product management and engineering teams to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and user experience
● Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering
● Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks
● Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and sitemaps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
● Present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders
● Conduct user research and evaluate user feedback
● Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have a track record of success as a UI designer with a portfolio that highlights your strong visual design skills and sensitivity to user-system interaction
● You have solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and sitemaps
● You are skilled at presenting your designs and selling your solutions to various stakeholders with a combination of humility, customer service, and demonstrating your expertise
● You thrive at solving problems creatively and efficiently
● You are up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● You have 5+ years of UI experience
● You are proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, OmniGraffle, or other visual design and wireframing tools
● You have experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
● You earned a BS/MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related degrees
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are accepting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please visit our Job Board (https://achievementma.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx) and click the “Apply” button associated with this role. You will then be prompted to create an application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. In your cover letter, please outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling and urgent basis.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.