Provides consulting services on one or more technical specialties such as usability, interaction or visual design, prototyping or content. Leads project teams to define and
document site architecture, navigation elements, content strategy, map user
flows, and propose best practices in usability and interactive design based on
a deep understanding of customer needs. Recommends innovative solutions that
balance customer needs with business viability and technical feasibility.
Creates exceptional user experiences that result in market differentiation and
efficiency improvements while maintaining brand standards and meeting business
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Manager/Director/AVP. May have direct reports based on
organizational structure. May be responsible for virtual/project teams.
Core Job Duties & Responsibilities:
1.Provides technical and/or strategic direction to project teams and/or product
groups. Defines scope and objectives based on user needs and understanding of
applicable business systems and industry requirements. Consults on and leads
business process analysis and needs assessments, aligning solutions with
business goals and initiatives.
2. Works with content writers, designers, coders, business representatives, and
user research staff to define site functionality, organization and navigation
solutions, and participates in research efforts to identify user goals and
3. Recommends innovative solutions to business problems/processes that leverage
technology and/or content to provide market differentiation, efficiency
improvements, and a better user experience. Maps out how the solution will
accommodate change and growth over time.
4. Participates in overall project management, time estimates and resource
scheduling. Monitors project team compliance with architecture best practices
and principles and resolves issues elevated from project teams.
5. Researches emerging technologies and trends to maintain an in-depth
understanding of user experience.
6.Works with usability staff to develop and document methodologies, standards
and best practices.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science,
human-computer interaction, psychology, graphic design, information science,
communications or related field.
Experience: Typically 8 or more years of professional
experience in the software or web site development, content or graphics
creation, web technology, research, conducting usability testing, and
user-centered design processes. Masters degree may be substituted for
experience as appropriate.
Knowledge: Software or website development, thorough
knowledge of usability practices, solid understanding of design or content for
current technologies. Knowledge of internet best practices and research
principles. Insurance company operations and products, company organizational
structure and general administrative policies, practices and procedures.
Skills/Competencies: Command of all skills necessary for
verbal and written communications. Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information and external factors that may
influence or have an impact on the company, as well as the customers,
distribution systems, operations, and the strategic planning process. Proven
ability to set work priorities that conform with established objectives,
time frames and accomplish a task in the most effective manner. Ability to
work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (i.e. engineers, product
managers, designers, business leaders, etc.). Proven ability to manage
projects and define administrative methods and procedures to attain objectives.
Ability to maintain working knowledge and/or expertise in PC-based software
programs, insurance/business concepts and assigned line of business as well as
marketing and strategic planning concepts.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors. Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
Working Conditions: Normal Office
Environment. Extended work hours may be necessary during work periods of
heavier volume of work. Travel required as necessary.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally
believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific
circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a
somewhat different combination of duties.
Evaluation Activity: MKT/WUE
Additional Job Description:
As a consultant on the User Experience (UX) Team, you will be focused on driving
holistic, human-centered solutions across a wide range of projects at
Nationwide. You will be responsible for helping the business identify and
define problems and opportunities, prioritize and set direction, and give
definition around abstract concepts – moving from vision to action. Using your expertise in user-centered research methodologies, particularly generative
and exploratory, you will provide thought leadership and partner closely with
clients as you plan, develop and execute research and deliver actionable
insights. Your ability to think strategically, have a deep understanding of
user and business needs, synthesize information, and tell a compelling story
will be key to your success. You should be passionate about defining problems, creating experiences that help people, and being a tireless advocate for the end user while also cultivating
that same passion in your fellow UX team members and inspiring them to deliver
the same high-quality work.
· Oversee the User Experience Team deliverables and methodologies to ensure they align with and meet business and
· Plan, initiate and lead research, client presentations, workshops, and discussions.
· Use critical thinking techniques to move thoughts and discussions from broad to specific.
· Communicate experience principles to all parts of the business and apply these principles to your
· Clearly understand the business space, audiences and phases in the customer journey.
· Champion a customer experience approach, when appropriate, to better understand how digital experiences can
support and enhance cross channel experiences.
· Help define specific product features by integrating inputs from a wide range of sources including
qualitative and quantitative research.
· Discover insights across
industries and categories that drive our clients to success.
· Influence the direction and quality of work via thought leadership and mentoring.
Key Skills and Experience:
· Business strategy – collaboratively work with clients to identify and frame the business
problem/challenge and connect business objectives to actionable customer
· Insight- ability to read between the lines and distil disparate sources of information into a crystal
clear, inspiring story rich with insights
· Facilitation- establish valued and trusted relationships across departments; facilitate a collaborative
process, internally and externally, while keeping the customer experience at
the heart of the process. Align stakeholders across multiple operational
functions toward a common vision.
· Highly successful problem solver that is organized, detailed and extremely collaborative
· Highly competent and comfortable with the range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies, tools
· Passionate, positive and capable of making incredibly complex things simple
· Strong communication, presentation, and creative challenge-solving skills
· Ability to work independently, while escalating issues as necessary
· Deep understanding of the user experience landscape – one that draws on your knowledge of generative and
evaluative research, information architecture, interaction design, visual
design, content strategy and your understanding of the possibilities and limitations
· Be comfortable with and have experience in planning, facilitating and participating in opportunity
workshops, brainstorming activities, and other idea-generating team sessions
· Deep expertise and practice of the fundamentals in a number of research methodologies, especially ethnography
and contextual inquiries and be able to identify the right methodology given
the learning objective
· Ability to analyze and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and present the results to
stakeholders, translating those insights into meaningful, actionable design
criteria, business strategies and/or artifacts
· Ability to switch easily between different projects, and flexibility to handle a rapidly changing
environment while delivering quality results
· Strong project management skills, with ability to prioritize and manage multiple, parallel projects to
deadline in a fast-paced environment
· Seeking candidates with 8+ years of experience in synthesizing and evangelizing complex research studies, user
experience design and/or related field
· Bachelor’s or advanced degree
in Cognitive Sciences, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors,
Anthropology, or related fields